Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Sharing Faith

     Sometimes short and sweet is best, so here is a short reflection of an experience we had just last night:

     Being that part of our mission is to be a presence in the community of Okinawa, not just in the school, we have come to know many people in the community who are like family to us.  Last night Stephanie and I were told that the father of the secretary at our school had an accident and was not doing well and many people were going to stop by her house.  We thought that since she is like family we should stop by too.  Once we arrived we were told that he was moving and breathing but was not responding to anyone and could not speak.  We stayed for a little bit and decided to say our goodbyes.  We told her we will keep him in our prayers, to which she shouted to her mother "Mom!  The teachers want to say a rosary with us!"  Stephanie and I were not prepared to lead a rosary (we still don't know the mysteries in Spanish) so we awkwardly walked over to the bed and started the rosary (minus the mysteries).  In an instant, what had felt awkward felt absolutely beautiful as we prayed the rosary for this man with his family.
     On our walk home, Stephanie and I reflected on the moment.  Over and over again I am surprised how easily faith unites different people.  When we went to the house, my limited vocabulary prevented me from saying many consoling and comforting words to the family, but I was able to comfort and console them through prayer.  We came here not only to be a presence of faith, but also to share our faith, and that's what we did that night.  I am blessed beyond words to be a part of the family here in Okinawa!  I know that I will remember that night, along with many of my experiences here forever.  I ask that everyone please keep this man and his family in their prayers over the next few weeks.  Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. You're a terrific missionary, Julie! God bless you and all your Okinawa family. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete