Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday



"Good Friday is good because God has spoken and told us that He has paid and will pay any price to be close to us forever.
Hate, sin and evil threw everything they had at him and it wasn’t enough. Love won.  Love always wins."
-Fr. Joe Krupp

I would like to wish everyone a very blessed Good Friday.  I would like to share how we spent our Good Friday.
My Good Friday started with attending Adoration from 2-3am with my site partner.  As I sat at Adoration, sleepy, not knowing if I would be able to stay awake, I heard those famous words, “can you not stay awake with me one hour and pray?”  Immediately I was given the strength to stay awake and my soul felt absolutely wonderful at 3am because I had spent that time with Jesus as we commemorate his passion.
            At 7 we reported to the church to prepare our Confirmation groups for the Stations of the Cross.  Each group was in charge of preparing and acting out 2 stations.  It’s a tradition here in Okinawa to process through the street to each station.  Hundreds of people gathered on our one paved road to walk with Jesus.  It was an incredible sight.  Different people from the community prepared a table on the street with flowers, candles, a picture of the station, statues, whatever they could to give honor to Jesus.  At 3pm we celebrated mass with the community of Okinawa.  I look forward to celebrating His rising from the dead with this wonderful, loving community in 3 days!  But until then, let us remember His passion and death, the price he paid for all of us, and try to live our lives FOR Him and to bring Him GLORY!
Preparing our costumes the night before.

Some of our Confirmation group.

The First Station: Jesus is Condemned to Death

The Second Station: Jesus Carries His Cross

The Third Station: Jesus Falls the First Time

The Fourth Station: Jesus Meets His Mother


The Fifth Station: Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus
Carry the Cross

The Sixth Station: Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus

The Seventh Station: Jesus Falls the Second Time

The Eighth Station: Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem

The Ninth Station: Jesus Falls the Third Time
 Unfortunately I was not able to take pictures of the last few stations, but we are so proud of our Confirmation students!


1 comment:

  1. Good work, Julie. Thanks for sharing the faith experience of Okinawa with us. God bless you, Manny, and Adam.

    ReplyDelete