Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lessons Learned

Well it's hard to believe but I've hit the half way point of my mission here in Okinawa.  So far in my 7 months here I've learned a lot of lessons and thought I'd share them with everyone, so here it goes!

Steph picking nits.  Our kitten was
trying to help...
Lesson #1:  True Site Partner Love.  It wasn't long after school started when I discovered my students that I love so much gave me a gift, lice…lots and lots of lice.  After shampooing my hair 4 times with lice shampoo, my wonderful site partner Stephanie proceeds to pick out my nits.  We are well into the hundreds and unfortunately lice-removal is still a work in progress...

Lesson #2:  You Are a Celebrity.  The closest you will ever feel to being a celebrity is walking down the streets of Okinawa and having your students shout "Teacher" and come running from their houses to give you a hug.

Lesson #3: Check Your Socks!  I always check my shoes and boots before putting them on in case of scorpions, but it never occurred to me to check my socks for critters.  One morning I took my socks from the drawer and put them on as normal.  I felt something crunchy at the bottom.  I took the sock off and turned it inside out to find a dead, dried-up frog at the bottom!  My sock my have been a comfy place to sleep while it was drying on the line.


The Tarantula was under my chair playing with the cat.
Lesson #4: Tarantulas Aren't Cute.  One night right before bed we noticed our kitten playing with something in the corner by the door to Manny's bedroom.  It only took a few seconds for us to realize it was a Tarantula.  Standing on top of chairs, we used teamwork to kill the Tarantula.

Lesson #5:  Giving Time Speaks More Than Words.  I've always been a believer that your time (especially in our culture) is one of the most important things you can give someone.  Every week we visit people in the community who aren't able to leave their homes often.  At one house, we are learning how to crochet.  Many times we don't have much to say while there, but we share in working on our projects and the people love the company.  We don't come bringing anything but the desire to share our time.

Lesson #6:  If It Looks Like Rain, It WILL Rain.  I cannot count the number of times my laundry, which I hand-wash and hang outside on the line, has had a second shower because of the rain.  Sometimes it takes a couple of days for clothes to dry, and when finally think that by the end of the day I can bring them in and put them away I look at the sky.  Usually I see the clouds and think it might rain, but decide to take the chance.  As soon as I get to school, it pours.  Every. Time.

Some of the kids we visit in Communities surrounding
Okinawa.  We teach Catechism and play games with the kids.
Lesson #7:  Joy.  What always surprises me is the amount of love and joy I see on the faces of the kids in the community.  Many of our students have problems, yet they always are excited to be alive and greet me with a smile.  I've come to realize the beauty of this.  No matter how frustrated, sad, or lonely you are, a smile can change everything.  Every morning God gives you a chance to start fresh, to love being alive, to brighten someone's day, and to give Him glory.  Take every chance!

Lesson #8: We Don't Like Ants.  I've never had a problem with ants before moving to Bolivia however my opinion has quickly changed.  We have ants the bite your toes hard enough to draw blood sometimes and they like to dig through the cement floor in our house and b
uild an ant hill.  Last week we woke up in the morning to having our feet attacked by hundreds of ants before we could turn the light on!  I also have unwillingly sacrificed some clothes to the ants.  Thankfully our wonderful friends here told us how to get rid of them.

After playing the basketball game "Around the World".
I got second place...
Lesson #9:  Commonalities.  Before I arrived to Bolivia, I was worried about not having much in common with the kids here, especially since I couldn't speak much Spanish.  Thankfully my Spanish improves everyday, and everyday I am shown more things that I have in common with the kids here.  One morning while we were at a community, I played "Around the World" with a few of the girls.  That was a game I used to play at recess too!  I also have heard songs that my mom would sing to me as a child sung here (in Spanish of course), as well as many other things.  It's amazing to learn how much you have in common with people from another culture!

Lesson #10:  Dependence on God.  I've always been a faith-filled person and I grew up learning that God will provide, but sometimes I have a hard time letting Him be in charge of my life.  Life on mission has it's ups and downs.  You have your high points and low points, and it's in the low points when you sometimes want to pack your bags and go home.  Being away from friends and family means they can't always be there for you.  So who do you turn to?  The answer is simple, God.  You start to pray to God to get you through your slump and eventually, together, you enter another high point.  I know part of why God called me to Bolivia was so that I could learn how to completely and fully depend on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment