Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Celebrating A Year!

At a birthday dinner for Doña Paulina.
     It's hard to believe but a year ago today I stepped off of the plane and saw, for the first time, what would become my home.  My journey in Bolivia has been an incredible one, full of laughter, friends, playing, birthday parties, dancing, celebrations, smiles, hugs, and unconditional love.  There also have been a lot of challenges, however sitting where I am today would I do it all over again?  The answer is simple.  Absolutely!  I never expected Okinawa to become my home, complete with mothers, grandmothers, sisters, and brothers.  The community of Okinawa has gone above and beyond to make us feel like we are family.  Like we are home.
     Our mission as SLMs is one of presence.  Being present can take a few different forms for us here in Okinawa.  Yes, it means teaching our classes and playing with the kids at recess, but it also means being present in the community outside of school.  St. Don Bosco was first and foremost a friend to the youth.  I learned most recently how much that friendship can mean.  Sometimes all someone needs is a friend, sharing their time, their recipes, and giving much needed encouragement.  I know that when I leave in a few months, a part of my heart will always be here in Okinawa with the people I have come to love over the year.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Julie! Nice to see Manny, Steph, and Adam in your pic. God bless y'all!

    ReplyDelete